During discussions at information tables, we have found that many people think of us as only a greyhound adoption group and are surprised at the number of things that we do that are not greyhound related.
Grey-Save is proud to be a part of the Erie community. The Erie area has been very kind and supportive of us, and we believe that it is a part of our responsibility to give something back to the community. The items listed below are a sampling of what we do to try to meet that responsibility.
- We provide regular monthly visits to a local nursing home. Visits to other homes are done on a singular basis as requested. Unfortunately, we do not have enough volunteers to visit all of the local homes on a regular basis.
- We provide educational programs about greyhounds, proper pet care, and animal safety to local grade schools, libraries, and civic groups such as The Boy Scouts Of America. These programs have reached thousands of students annually.
- We promote spay/neuter programs, proper pet care, and responsible pet ownership at all of our events and through local advertising.
- We support other animal welfare groups in this area by assisting them at fundraising events and other events of importance to them.
- In conjunction with the Americal Red Cross, we provide scheduled Pet First Aid classes that are open to everyone who has an interest. We also discuss disaster planning for ourselves and for our pets at these classes.
- We donate books about greyhounds, proper pet care and behavioral issues to local libraries. Some of these books are greyhound themed, and others are applicable to all breeds.
- We have assisted owners of other breeds with questions/concerns about medical and behavioral issues.
- We have on occasion (based upon extenuating circumstances) assisted owners of dogs of other breeds in the search for lost pets.
We are pleased to be able to offer these services to the Erie Community, and look forward to expanding our efforts in this area in the future!